BOA1

Featured post

A Highly Pathogenic #Avian #H7N9 #Influenza Virus Isolated from A #Human Is Lethal in Some #Ferrets Infected via #Respiratory #Droplets (Cell Host Microbe, abstract)

Title : A Highly Pathogenic #Avian #H7N9 #Influenza Virus Isolated from A #Human Is Lethal in Some #Ferrets Infected via #Respiratory #Drop...

1 Mar 2017

The Inner Reasons–Why should I continue my quest?

 

Unusually, today first post concerns my inner reasons, basically what are the quests I have in sight after more than a decade in blogging about emerging infectious diseases and many other disasters.

A long ago, around at the time of the ‘great return of ebola’ in 1995, I found himself unprepared to cope with the horror and angst in seeing the results of an almost untreatable (at the time) infectious disease, and above all, the panic spreaded by mainstream media, the lack of precision, actual data and timeliness from the various outlets (television, newspapers) regarding something most of the journalists do not know: science.

Then, when internet became widely used, I started a my own blog space: it was 2003, at the beginning of the first avian influenza panzootic.

My long run was not always a lonely one; I soon joined to other bloggers to ‘’track’’ these nasty diseases but after many years of infructuous cooperation, I decided to leave to continue my quest with my own priorities.

On the web, meanwhile, other actors started to play their game in this field, albeit with their purposes and huge funding whereas a single blogger can afford only few essential things, other than employ his own force and money to keep alive his quest.

However, year after years, the loneliness started to mount a fatigue – without counting the aging (I’m nearly 48 this year!).

Why should I continue to spend eight to ten hours daily to collect, sort, edit and post all these awful things on deadly diseases, when my life starts to enter to a new phase?

And – after all – many readers are not interested in regarding the materials I collected as things of importance, even the source of this work is not even cited!

Unpaid, unrecognized and shunned by most of the other ‘’actors’’ of the ‘’flublogia’’, my own quest should be very important to me to be a reason for a such investment of time.

Indeed, it is.

I like the adrenaline when searching, translating, editing something that scare many of the people on the net, even the journos, sometimes.

I can free my anxiety and my horror of the unknown, the dark face of our existence (the illness, the pain, the death), every time I access to the web.

But – at 48 – perhaps even these reasons are not longer enough to justify the time spent here with all these Great Unknown Readers!

The long journey may come to an end, soon or later, this is true for everyone, but the quest can’t stop to be pursued.

Giuseppe Michieli (aka IronOreHopper).

_____