Title: #Bovine spongiform #encephalopathy [#BSE], #Spain.
Subject: Prion diseases, BSE in cattle, Spain.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Bovine spongiform encephalopathy [BSE], Spain
Information received on 12/05/2017 from Dr Valentín Almansa, Director General, Sanidad de la Produccion Agraria, Ministerio de Agricultura, Alimentación y Medio Ambiente, Madrid, Spain
- Report type Immediate notification (Final report)
- Date of start of the event 27/04/2017
- Date of confirmation of the event 05/05/2017
- Report date 12/05/2017
- Date submitted to OIE 12/05/2017
- Date event resolved 10/05/2017
- Reason for notification Recurrence of a listed disease
- Date of previous occurrence 10/03/2017
- Manifestation of disease Sub-clinical infection
- Causal agent Prion (Atypical BSE type L)
- Nature of diagnosis Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to a defined zone within the country
- New outbreaks
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 1
- Outbreak Location - CANTABRIA ( Camargo, CANTABRIA )
- Total animals affected: Species - Susceptible - Cases - Deaths - Killed and disposed of – Slaughtered
- Cattle - 51 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Cattle - 1.96% - 0.00% - 0.00% - 1.96%
- * Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter;
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Epidemiological comments
- On April 28th, 2017, the Central Veterinary Laboratory at Algete (National Reference Laboratory for transmissible spongiform encephalopathies accredited under UNE-EN ISO/IEC 17025:2005) received a brainstem sample suspected to be BSE-positive from the regional accredited animal health laboratory of Cantabria (official regional laboratory) after a positive result was obtained through the Bio-Rad TeSeE SAP rapid test.
- The National Reference Laboratory undertook the confirmatory tests authorized according to Regulation (EU) No. 1148/2014. The selected assays associated were Western blot (Prionics) and ELISA (TeSeE SAP Bio-Rad). Following positive results to both assays, the National Reference Laboratory performed assays to discriminate the BSE strains by immunoblotting with results for atypical BSE type L on May 5th, 2017.
- The sample was taken within the national TSE surveillance program (sampling of de ad or non-slaughtered animals for human consumption over 48 months old). The animal was a crossbred (conjunto mestizo) female born on 25 February 2002.
- Control measures
- Measures applied
- Movement control inside the country
- Official disposal of carcasses, by-products and waste
- Selective killing and disposal
- Vaccination prohibited
- No treatment of affected animals
- Measures to be applied
- Official destruction of animal products
- Diagnostic test results
- Laboratory name and type - Central Veterinary Laboratory, Algete ( National laboratory )
- Tests and results: Species - Test - Test date - Result
- Cattle - electroimmunotransfer blot assay (EITB) - 05/05/2017 - Positive
- Cattle - western blot - 05/05/2017 - Positive
- Future Reporting
- The event is resolved. No more reports will be submitted.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; BSE; Cattle; Spain.