Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5N8, #Taiwan [two #poultry #outbreaks].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5N8 subtype, poultry epizootics in Taiwan.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N8, Chinese Taipei
Information received on 07/03/2017 from Dr Tai-Hwa Shih, Chief Veterinary Officer, Deputy Director General, Bureau of Animal and Plant Health Inspection and Quarantine Council of Agriculture Executive Yuan, Ministry of Agriculture, Taipei, Chinese Taipei
- Report type Follow-up report No. 33
- Date of start of the event 08/01/2015
- Date of confirmation of the event 11/01/2015
- Report date 07/03/2017
- Date submitted to OIE 07/03/2017
- Reason for notification Reoccurrence of a listed disease
- Date of previous occurrence 23/07/2014
- Manifestation of disease Clinical disease
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus
- Serotype H5N8
- Nature of diagnosis Clinical, Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to a defined zone within the country
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 2
- Total animals affected: Species - Susceptible - Cases - Deaths - Destroyed - Slaughtered
- Birds - 7868 - ** - 0 - 7868 - 0
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Birds - ** - 0.00% - ** - 100.00%
- *Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter
- **Not calculated because of missing information
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Epidemiological comments
- Samples from two poultry farms in Pingtung County and Kaohsiung City were sent to the National Laboratory, Animal Health Research Institute (AHRI) for analysis in response to the testing requirement before being put on the market.
- Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N8 subtype was confirmed by AHRI.
- The farms have been placed under movement restriction.
- All animals on the infected farms have been culled.
- Thorough cleaning and disinfection have been conducted after stamping out operation.
- Surrounding poultry farms within 3 km radius of the infected farm are under intensified surveillance for three months.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; Avian Influenza; H5N8 ; Poultry; Taiwan.