Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5N8, #Taiwan [seven #poultry #outbreaks].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5N8 subtype, poultry epizootics in Taiwan.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N8, Chinese Taipei
Information received on 17/03/2017 from Dr Tai-Hwa Shih, Chief Veterinary Officer, Deputy Director General, Bureau of Animal and Plant Health Inspection and Quarantine Council of Agriculture Executive Yuan, Ministry of Agriculture, Taipei, Chinese Taipei
- Report type Follow-up report No. 34
- Date of start of the event 08/01/2015
- Date of confirmation of the event 11/01/2015
- Report date 17/03/2017
- Date submitted to OIE 17/03/2017
- Reason for notification Reoccurrence of a listed disease
- Date of previous occurrence 23/07/2014
- Manifestation of disease Clinical disease
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus
- Serotype H5N8
- Nature of diagnosis Clinical, Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to a defined zone within the country
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 7
- Total animals affected: Species - Susceptible - Cases - Deaths - Destroyed - Slaughtered
- Birds - 69250 - 5147 ** - 5147 - 64103 - 0
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Birds ** 7.43% ** 100.00%
- *Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter
- **Not calculated because of missing information
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Epidemiological comments
- Samples from seven poultry farms in Pingtung County, Kaohsiung City, Yunlin County, Chiayi County and Tainan City were sent to the National Laboratory, Animal Health Research Institute (AHRI) for analysis.
- Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N8 subtype was confirmed by AHRI.
- The farms have been placed under movement restriction.
- All animals on the infected farms have been culled.
- Thorough cleaning and disinfection have been conducted after stamping out operation.
- Surrounding poultry farms within 3 km radius of the infected farms are under intensified surveillance for three months.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; Avian Influenza; H5N8 ; Poultry; Taiwan.