Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5N6, #Taiwan [eight #poultry #outbreaks].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5N6 subtype, poultry epizootics in Taiwan.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N6, Chinese Taipei
Information received on 01/03/2017 from Dr Tai-Hwa Shih, Chief Veterinary Officer, Deputy Director General, Bureau of Animal and Plant Health Inspection and Quarantine Council of Agriculture Executive Yuan, Ministry of Agriculture, Taipei, Chinese Taipei
- Report type Follow-up report No. 1
- Date of start of the event 02/02/2017
- Date of confirmation of the event 05/02/2017
- Report date 01/03/2017
- Date submitted to OIE 01/03/2017
- Reason for notification New strain of a listed disease in the country
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus
- Serotype H5N6
- Nature of diagnosis Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to the whole country
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 8
- Total animals affected: Species - Susceptible - Cases - Deaths - Destroyed - Slaughtered
- Birds - 12410 - 173 ** - 4073 - 8337 - 0
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Birds - ** - 32.82% - ** - 100.00%
- *Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter
- **Not calculated because of missing information
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Epidemiological comments
- 1.Abnormal mortality was observed in 8 poultry farms in Yunlin County, Tainan City, Yilan County, and Chiayi County.
- Samples were sent to the National Laboratory, Animal Health Research Institute (AHRI) for analysis.
- Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N6 subtype was confirmed by the AHRI.
- The farms have been placed under movement restriction.
- All animals on the infected farms have been culled.
- Thorough cleaning and disinfection have been conducted after stamping out operation.
- 2.In order to prevent the H5N6 HPAI virus from spreading, intensified surveillance measures have been conducted by veterinary authority.
- All the duck farms within 5-kilometer radius of the infected farm shall be subjected to movement restriction and avian influenza test.
- The restriction could be released if the result is negative.
- In addition, all the poultry farms within 1-kilometer radius of the infected farm shall be subjected to movement restriction and avian influenza test for once a month for 3 months.
- The restriction could be released if the result of first test is negative.
- Despite of the abovementioned measures, all poultry farms within a 3-kilometer radius of the infected farms are under monitoring for three months.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; Avian Influenza; H5N6 ; Poultry; Taiwan.