Title: #Bovine spongiform #encephalopathy [#BSE], #Spain.
Subject: Prions diseases, bovine; Spain.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Bovine spongiform encephalopathy, Spain
Information received on 10/03/2017 from Dr Valentín Almansa, Director General, Sanidad de la Produccion Agraria, Ministerio de Agricultura, Alimentación y Medio Ambiente, Madrid, Spain
- Report type Immediate notification (Final report)
- Date of start of the event 22/02/2017
- Date of confirmation of the event 01/03/2017
- Report date 10/03/2017
- Date submitted to OIE 10/03/2017
- Date event resolved 10/03/2017
- Reason for notification Reoccurrence of a listed disease
- Date of previous occurrence 03/03/2016
- Manifestation of disease Sub-clinical infection
- Causal agent Prion (Atypical BSE type L)
- Nature of diagnosis Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to the whole country
- New outbreaks
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 1
- Outbreak Location - CASTILLA Y LEON ( Horcajo Medianero, Salamanca )
- Total animals affected: Species – Susceptible – Cases – Deaths – Destroyed – Slaughtered
- Cattle - 134 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Cattle - 0.75% - 0.00% - 0.00% - 0.75%
- * Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter;
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Epidemiological comments
- On 23 February 2017, the Central Veterinary Laboratory at Algete (National Reference Laboratory for transmissible spongiform encephalopathies accredited under UNE-EN ISO/IEC 17025:2005 for all TSE diagnostic tests) received a bovine brainstem sample from the regional accredited animal health laboratory of Castilla y León (official regional laboratory) after a positive result was obtained through the Bio-Rad TeSeE SAP rapid test.
- The National Reference Laboratory undertook the confirmatory tests authorized according to Regulation (EU) No. 1148/2014.
- The selected tests associated were Idex HerdChek BSE/Scrapie Antigen Test Kit and Western blot (Prionics).
- Following confirmation of BSE, the National Reference Laboratory went on with tests to discriminate the BSE strains by immunoblotting with results for atypical BSE type L on 1 March 2017.
- The sample was taken within the national TSE surveillance program (sampling of dead or non-slaughtered animals for human consumption over 48 months old).
- The animal was a crossbred female born on 12 January 2003.
- Control measures
- Measures applied
- Movement control inside the country
- Disinfection / Disinfestation
- Official disposal of carcasses, by-products and waste
- Modified stamping out
- Vaccination prohibited
- No treatment of affected animals
- Measures to be applied
- Official destruction of animal products
- Diagnostic test results
- Laboratory name and type - Central Veterinary Laboratory, Algete ( National laboratory )
- Tests and results: Species – Test - Test date – Result
- Cattle - electroimmunotransfer blot assay (EITB) - 01/03/2017 – Positive
- Cattle - western blot - 27/02/2017 – Positive
- Future Reporting
- The event is resolved. No more reports will be submitted.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; TSE; Prions; Cattle; Spain.