Title: Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza H5N8, Italy [a #poultry #outbreak].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5N8 subtype, poultry epizootics in Italy.
Source: National Reference Laboratory for Avian Influenza, Padua, Italy, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) in Italy - 2016/2017 – H5N5, H5N8
- On 2 February 2017 the National Reference Laboratory for Avian Influenza and Newcastle Disease (NRL) confirmed as positive to Avian Influenza Subtype H5N8 an industrial meat turkey farm in Parma province (Emilia-Romagna region).
- On 3 February 2017, the NRL characterized the virus as Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza.
- This is the fourth outbreak in the domestic poultry sector in Italy in 2017.
- There were about 22.900 turkeys in the farm and they exhibited clinical signs and increased mortality.
- Partial analysis of the viral sequence shows that this virus does not cluster with the other viruses found in the Italian poultry sector, which suggests that this outbreak, like the previous ones, are a new introduction of the virus in the domestic sector.
- Protection and surveillance zones (3 and 10 km) around the infected holding were defined, and control measures were implemented as provided by the Council Directive 2005/94/EC.
- The culling of the birds under official supervision is expected to start in the next few days.
Keywords: Italy; Updates; H5N8; Avian Influenza; Poultry.