Title: Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza H5N8, Italy [a #poultry #outbreak in #Lombardy region].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5N8 subtype, poultry epizootics in Italy.
Source: National Reference Laboratory for Avian Influenza, Padua, Italy, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) in Italy
2016/2017 – H5N5, H5N8
- On 22 February 2017 the National Reference Laboratory for Avian Influenza and Newcastle Disease (NRL) confirmed as positive to Avian Influenza Subtype H5N8 an industrial meat turkey farm in Mantua province (Lombardy region).
- This is the second case in this province, in fact the positive farm is located inside the protection zone of the first case (confirmed on 15 February).
- At the moment of the impound, about 21.820 turkeys were present, some of which presented clinical symptoms.
- An increase in mortality was observed in the previous days.
- Further information on virus characterization and phylogenic analysis will be provided as soon as available.
- On the same day, the Ministry of Health ordered the preventive slaughtering of a meat turkey farm with about 8.000 birds.
- This farm is located inside the protection zone of the Verona outbreak (confirmed on 16/02/2017).
Keywords: Avian Influenza, H5N8, Updates, Italy, Poultry.