Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5N8, #Iran [sixteen #poultry & #wildbirds #outbreaks].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5N8 subtype, poultry and wild birds epizootics in Iran.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ][ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N8, Iran
Information received on 13/02/2017 from Dr Mehdi Khalaj, Head of IVO, Iran Veterinary Organization (IVO), Iran Veterinary Organization, Ministry of Jihad-e-Agriculture, Tehran, Iran
- Report type Follow-up report No. 5
- Date of start of the event 14/11/2016
- Date of confirmation of the event 19/11/2016
- Report date 13/02/2017
- Date submitted to OIE 13/02/2017
- Reason for notification New strain of a listed disease in the country
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus
- Serotype H5N8
- Nature of diagnosis Clinical, Laboratory (basic), Laboratory (advanced), Necropsy
- This event pertains to the whole country
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 16
- Total animals affected: Species - Susceptible - Cases - Deaths - Destroyed - Slaughtered
- Birds - 226443 - 42326 ** - 20298 - 206145 - 0
- Whooper Swan:Cygnus cygnus(Anatidae) - … – 29 - 29 - 0 - 0
- Hooded Crow:Corvus cornix(Corvidae) – … – 11 - 11 - 0 - 0
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Birds - ** - 8.96% - ** - 100.00%
- Whooper Swan:Cygnus cygnus(Anatidae) - ** - ** - 100.00% - **
- Hooded Crow:Corvus cornix(Corvidae) - ** - ** - 100.00% - **
- *Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter
- **Not calculated because of missing information
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Epidemiological comments
- 1- The event was reported according to the Iran Passive Surveillance in place.
- 2- A post-outbreak investigation to trace the source of infection is ongoing to detect the probable spread and circulation of this subtype.
- 3- Active surveillance is ongoing.
- 4- To reduce the poultry population at risk, 1,862,150 birds at farms in a three-kilometers radius around the affected farms or villages have been slaughtered after confirming to be negative for HPAI.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; Avian Influenza; H5N8 ; Poultry; Wild Birds; Iran.