Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5N6, #Taiwan [a #poultry #outbreak].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5N6 subtype, poultry epizootics in Taiwan.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N6, Chinese Taipei
Information received on 12/02/2017 from Dr Tai-Hwa Shih, Chief Veterinary Officer, Deputy Director General, Bureau of Animal and Plant Health Inspection and Quarantine Council of Agriculture Executive Yuan, Ministry of Agriculture, Taipei, Chinese Taipei
- Report type Immediate notification
- Date of start of the event 02/02/2017
- Date of confirmation of the event 11/02/2017
- Report date 12/02/2017
- Date submitted to OIE 12/02/2017
- Reason for notification New strain of a listed disease in the country
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus
- Serotype H5N6
- Nature of diagnosis Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to a defined zone within the country
- New outbreaks
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 1
- Outbreak Location - HUALIEN COUNTY ( Yuli Township )
- Total animals affected: Species - Susceptible - Cases - Deaths - Destroyed - Slaughtered
- Birds - 3787 - ** - 0 - 3787 - 0
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Birds - ** - 0.00% - ** - 100.00%
- * Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter;
- ** Not calculated because of missing information;
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Epidemiological comments
- On 7 February 2017, a batch of ducks (3,787 heads) originating from one of the farms under intensified surveillance in Hualien County was intercepted in an abattoir located in Yilan County.
- The duck farm is under intensified surveillance because it is within the 3 km radius of one dead young goose positive for H5N6 that was reported on 6 February 2016.
- The ducks were transported to Yilan County on 6 February, one day ahead of the entry into force of the ban on the dispatch of waterfowls of Hualien County to other regions of the country.
- The carcasses of the ducks intercepted in the abattoir were sampled and tested using RT-PCR and gene sequence analysis by the National Laboratory (Animal Health Research Institute, AHRI).
- H5N6 and H5N2 subtypes HPAI were detected and confirmed by the AHRI on 11 February 2017.
- All of the 3,787 carcasses were condemned and destroyed, and thorough cleaning and disinfection have been conducted in the abattoir.
- The farm of origin has been sampled for testing.
- The intensified surveillance zone has been enlarged to 5 km radius surrounding the index farm.
- Sampling is underway and will be completed as soon as possible in order to detect any spreading of the viruses.
- These control measures will be imposed on the area for at least 3 months and will be lifted only after the confirmation of the elimination of the viruses.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; Avian Influenza; H5N6 ; Poultry; Taiwan.