Title: Low pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5N2, #SouthAfrica [a #poultry #outbreak].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5N2 subtype, poultry epizootics in South Africa.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Low pathogenic avian influenza (poultry) H5N2, South Africa
Information received on 23/01/2017 from Dr Bothle Michael Modisane, Chief Director , Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Animal Production and Health, PRETORIA, South Africa
- Report type Follow-up report No. 19
- Date of start of the event 28/01/2014
- Date of confirmation of the event 10/06/2014
- Report date 23/01/2017
- Date submitted to OIE 23/01/2017
- Reason for notification Reoccurrence of a listed disease
- Date of previous occurrence 02/11/2013
- Manifestation of disease Sub-clinical infection
- Causal agent Low pathogenic avian influenza virus
- Serotype H5N2
- Nature of diagnosis Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to the whole country
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 1
- Total animals affected: Species - Susceptible - Cases - Deaths - Destroyed - Slaughtered
- Birds - 977 - 31 - 0 - 0 - 0
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Birds - 3.17% - 0.00% - 0.00% - 0.00%
- *Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Epidemiological comments
- Geographical coordinates have been adjusted to be less accurate to protect the privacy of owners, in accordance with legislative requirements.
- Note by the OIE World Animal Health Information and Analysis Department: H5 and H7 avian influenza in its low pathogenic form in poultry is a notifiable disease as per Chapter 10.4. on avian influenza of the Terrestrial Animal Health Code (2016).
Keywords: OIE; Updates; Avian Influenza; H5N2 ; Poultry; South Africa.