Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5N8, #Taiwan [four #poultry #outbreaks].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5N8 subtype, poultry epizootics in Tawian.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK). Excerpts.
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N8, Chinese Taipei
Information received on 12/01/2017 from Dr Tai-Hwa Shih, Chief Veterinary Officer, Deputy Director General, Bureau of Animal and Plant Health Inspection and Quarantine Council of Agriculture Executive Yuan, Ministry of Agriculture, Taipei, Chinese Taipei
- Report type Follow-up report No. 32
- Date of start of the event 08/01/2015
- Date of confirmation of the event 11/01/2015
- Report date 09/01/2017
- Date submitted to OIE 12/01/2017
- Reason for notification Reoccurrence of a listed disease
- Date of previous occurrence 23/07/2014
- Manifestation of disease Clinical disease
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus
- Serotype H5N8
- Nature of diagnosis Clinical, Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to a defined zone within the country
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 4
- Total animals affected: Species - Susceptible - Cases - Deaths - Destroyed - Slaughtered
- Birds - 24823 - 311 ** - 311 - 24512 - 0
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Birds - ** - 1.25% - ** - 100.00%
- *Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter
- **Not calculated because of missing information
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Epidemiological comments
- Abnormal mortality was observed in one poultry farm in Yunlin County.
- Samples were sent to the National Laboratory, Animal Health Research Institute (AHRI) for analysis.
- Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N8 subtype was confirmed by AHRI.
- The farm has been put under movement restriction.
- All animals on the infected farm have been culled.
- Thorough cleaning and disinfection have been conducted after stamping out operation.
- Surrounding poultry farms within 3 km radius of the infected farm are under intensified surveillance for three months.
- Suspicious signs were observed in poultry carcasses during postmortem inspection in three abattoirs in New Taipei City, Taipei City, and Kaohsiung City.
- Samples were sent to AHRI for analysis.
- Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N8 was confirmed by the AHRI.
- H5N2 HPAI virus was also detected in samples taken from the abattoir in New Taipei City.
- The carcasses were destroyed and thorough cleaning and disinfection have been conducted in the abattoirs.
- After tracing back to the farm of origin, samples have been sent to the AHRI for diagnosis.
- Any positive results will be included in follow-up reports.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; Avian Influenza; H5N2; H5N8 ; Poultry; Taiwan.