Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5N8, #Egypt [a #poultry #outbreak, #Sharqia].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5N8 subtype, poultry epizootics in Egypt.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK). Excerpts.
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N8, Egypt
Information received on 12/01/2017 from Dr Ibrahim Mahrous Saleh Mohamed, Chairman, General Organization for Veterinary Services (GOVS), Ministry of Agriculture and Land Reclamation, Cairo, Egypt
- Report type Follow-up report No. 1
- Date of start of the event 24/11/2016
- Date of confirmation of the event 26/11/2016
- Report date 12/01/2017
- Date submitted to OIE 12/01/2017
- Reason for notification New strain of a listed disease in the country
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus
- Serotype H5N8
- Nature of diagnosis Laboratory (basic), Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to a defined zone within the country
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 1
- Total animals affected: Species - Susceptible - Cases - Deaths - Destroyed - Slaughtered
- Birds - 190 - 89 - 60 - 101 - 0
- Outbreak statistics: – Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Birds - 46.84% - 31.58% - 67.42% - 84.74%
- *Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Epidemiological comments
- A massive epidemiological surveillance was applied after the first outbreak.
- It was implemented in 45 sites in the way of the migratory wild birds.
- The sampling was applied on both domestic (farms and backyards) and wild birds.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; Avian Influenza; H5N8 ; Poultry; Egypt; Sharqia.