Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5N6, #Japan [a #poultry #outbreak].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5N6 subtype, poultry epizootics in Japan.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N6, Japan
Information received on 17/01/2017 from Dr Kazuo Ito, Director, International Animal Health Affairs Office, Animal Health Division, Food Safety and Consumer Affairs Bureau, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Tokyo, Japan
- Report type Follow-up report No. 5
- Date of start of the event 28/11/2016
- Date of confirmation of the event 28/11/2016
- Report date 16/01/2017
- Date submitted to OIE 17/01/2017
- Reason for notification Reoccurrence of a listed disease
- Date of previous occurrence 17/02/2015
- Manifestation of disease Clinical disease
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus
- Serotype H5N6
- Nature of diagnosis Clinical, Laboratory (basic), Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to the whole country
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 1
- Total animals affected: Species - Susceptible - Cases - Deaths - Destroyed - Slaughtered
- Birds - 78184 - 100 - 100 - 78084 - 0
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Birds - 0.13% - 0.13% - 100.00% - 100.00%
- *Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Epidemiological comments
- Outbreak 5 (Hokkaido, Shimizu-cho) – follow up information of the previous reports
- On 15 January 2017, the movement restriction was lifted since 21 days had passed without any new outbreaks after control measures including stamping out had been completed on 24 December 2016.
- Outbreak 6 (Miyazaki, Kawaminami-cho) – follow up information of the previous reports
- On 12 January 2017, the movement restriction was lifted since 21 days had passed without any new outbreaks after control measures including stamping out had been completed on 21 December 2016.
- Outbreak 7 (Kumamoto, Nankan-machi) – follow up information of the previous reports
- On 12 January 2017 shipment restrictions were lifted as there were not any positive results of the tests conducted after control measures including stamping out had been completed.
- Outbreak 8 (Gifu, Yamagata-shi) – this report
- On 14 January 2017, the local veterinary service in Gifu Prefecture received a notification from a domestic hen farm on an increase in the number of dead birds (100 birds on the same day).
- The samples were sent to the laboratory of local veterinary service (Gifu Livestock Hygiene Service Centre) and the samples from dead birds were confirmed to be influenza A virus positive by antigen-capture kits and to be subtype H5 by RT-PCR and RRT-PCR in Gifu Livestock Hygiene Service Centre.
- Movement and shipment restrictions are imposed on the farms within a radius of 3km and 3-10 km of the affected farm, respectively.
- Destruction of all the susceptible birds in the affected farm has been completed and N-type was identified as N6 by NIAH on 16 January 2017.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; Avian Influenza; H5N6 ; Poultry; Japan.