Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5, #Uganda [a #poultry #outbreak].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5 subtype, poultry epizootics in Uganda.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK). Excerpts.
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5, Uganda
Information received on 15/01/2017 from Dr Nicholas Kauta, Director Animal Resources, Department of Livestock Health Health and Entomology , Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries, Entebbe, Uganda
- Report type Immediate notification
- Date of start of the event 02/01/2017
- Date of confirmation of the event 14/01/2017
- Report date 15/01/2017
- Date submitted to OIE 16/01/2017
- Reason for notification First occurrence of a listed disease in the country
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus
- Serotype H5
- Nature of diagnosis Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to a defined zone within the country
- New outbreaks
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 1
- Outbreak Location - Masaka ( Kachanga, Bukibanga, Bukakata )
- Total animals affected: Species - Susceptible - Cases - Deaths - Destroyed - Slaughtered
- Birds - 30000 - 20 - 7 - 0 - 0
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Birds - 0.07% - 0.02% - 35.00% - 0.02%
- * Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter;
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Contact with wild species
- Epidemiological comments
- There are still continuous deaths of wild ducks and birds along the shores and islands of Lake Victoria in Masaka and Wakiso districts.
- In Masaka alone, wild and domestic birds are dying at alarming numbers and in Lutembe wetland white-winged terns are the ones dying.
- This is already a big threat to over thirty million domestic poultry in Uganda which calls for an urgent response to control the spread of the disease from wild birds to domestic birds.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; Avian Influenza; H5 ; Poultry; Wild Birds; Uganda.