Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5N8, #UK [a #poultry #outbreak].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5N8 subtype, poultry epizootic in the United Kingdom.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N8, United Kingdom
Information received on 17/12/2016 from Dr Nigel Gibbens, Chief Veterinary Officer, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, LONDON, United Kingdom
- Report type Immediate notification
- Date of start of the event 11/12/2016
- Date of confirmation of the event 16/12/2016
- Report date 17/12/2016
- Date submitted to OIE 17/12/2016
- Reason for notification Reoccurrence of a listed disease
- Date of previous occurrence 17/07/2015
- Manifestation of disease Clinical disease
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus
- Serotype H5N8
- Nature of diagnosis Clinical
- This event pertains to a defined zone within the country
- New outbreaks
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 1
- Outbreak Location - ENGLAND ( Louth, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire )
- Total animals affected: Species – Susceptible – Cases – Deaths – Destroyed – Slaughtered
- Birds - 2428 - 2428 - 2408 - 20 - 0
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Birds - 100.00% - 99.18% - 99.18% - 100.00%
- * Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter;
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Epidemiological comments
- The epidemiological investigation has started and disease control programmes applied.
- Updates will be provided in weekly reports as further information becomes available.
- Control measures
- Measures applied
- Movement control inside the country
- Stamping out
- Surveillance within containment and/or protection zone
- Vaccination prohibited
- No treatment of affected animals
- Measures to be applied
- Disinfection / Disinfestation
- Official destruction of animal products
- Official disposal of carcasses, by-products and waste
- Diagnostic test results
- Laboratory name and type - Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA), Weybridge ( OIE Reference Laboratory )
- Tests and results: Species – Test - Test date – Result
- Birds - haemagglutination (HA) test – Pending
- Birds - haemagglutination inhibition test (HIT) - 16/12/2016 – Negative
- Birds - neuraminidase inhibition assay - Pending
- Birds - nucleotide sequencing – Pending
- Birds - real-time reverse transcriptase/polymerase chain reaction (RRT-PCR) - 16/12/2016 – Positive
- Birds - virus isolation – Pending
- Future Reporting
- The event is continuing. Weekly follow-up reports will be submitted.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; H5N8; Avian Influenza; UK; England; Poultry.