Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5N8, #Finland [a #poultry #outbreak].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5N8 subtype, poultry epizootic in Finland.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N8, Finland
Information received on 01/12/2016 from Dr Taina Aaltonen, Chief Veterinary Officer and Deputy Director General, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Helsinki, Finland
- Report type Follow-up report No. 1
- Date of start of the event 12/11/2016
- Date of confirmation of the event 25/11/2016
- Report date 01/12/2016
- Date submitted to OIE 01/12/2016
- Reason for notification First occurrence of a listed disease in the country
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus
- Serotype H5N8
- Nature of diagnosis Clinical, Laboratory (basic), Laboratory (advanced), Necropsy
- This event pertains to a defined zone within the country
- Related reports
- Immediate notification (25/11/2016) / Follow-up report No. 1 (01/12/2016)
- New outbreaks (1)
- Outbreak 1 - Mariehamn, AHVENANMAAN MAAKUNTA
- Date of start of the outbreak 26/11/2016
- Outbreak status Continuing (or date resolved not provided)
- Epidemiological unit Zoo
- Affected animals: Species – Susceptible – Cases – Deaths – Destroyed – Slaughtered
- Birds – 150 – 9 – 9 – 28 – 0
- Affected population:
- The outbreak is in a bird zoo in a group of galliform birds, all of which have died or been destroyed.
- Psittacine and passerine birds are kept in a separate building (separate epidemiological unit) under movement restrictions and are being monitored continuously.
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 1
- Total animals affected: Species – Susceptible – Cases – Deaths – Destroyed – Slaughtered
- Birds – 150 – 9 – 9 – 28 – 0
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Birds - 6.00% - 6.00% - 100.00% - 24.67%
- *Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Control measures
- Measures applied
- Movement control inside the country
- Stamping out
- Official disposal of carcasses, by-products and waste
- Vaccination prohibited
- No treatment of affected animals
- Measures to be applied
- Disinfection / Disinfestation
- Surveillance within containment and/or protection zone
- Diagnostic test results
- Laboratory name and type – Species – Test - Test date – Result
- Finnish Food Safety Authority, Evira (National laboratory) – Birds - real-time reverse transcriptase/polymerase chain reaction (RRT-PCR) - 30/11/2016 – Positive
- Finnish Food Safety Authority, Evira (National laboratory) – Birds - reverse transcription - polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) - 30/11/2016 - Positive
- Finnish Food Safety Authority, Evira (National laboratory) – Birds - virus sequencing - 01/12/2016 – Positive
- Future Reporting
- The event is continuing. Weekly follow-up reports will be submitted.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; H5N8; Avian Influenza; Captive Birds; Finland.