Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5N5, #Netherlands [infected #wildbirds].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5N5 subtype, wild birds epizootic in the Netherlands.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N5, Netherlands
Information received on 14/12/2016 from Dr Christianne Bruschke, Chief Veterinary Officer , Ministry of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Economic Affairs, The Hague, Netherlands
- Report type Immediate notification
- Date of start of the event 14/11/2016
- Date of confirmation of the event 13/12/2016
- Report date 14/12/2016
- Date submitted to OIE 15/12/2016
- Reason for notification First occurrence of a listed disease
- Manifestation of disease Clinical disease
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus in wild birds
- Serotype H5N5
- Nature of diagnosis Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to a defined zone within the country
- New outbreaks
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 1
- Outbreak Location - NOORD-BRABANT ( Werkendam )
- Total animals affected: Species – Susceptible – Cases – Deaths – Destroyed – Slaughtered
- Tufted Duck:Anatidae (Aythya fuligula) - … – 1 - 1 - 0 - 0
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Tufted Duck:Anatidae (Aythya fuligula) – ** – ** - 100.00% – **
- * Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter;
- ** Not calculated because of missing information;
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Epidemiological comments
- H5N5 was confirmed in one tufted duck found in a wetland area near Werkendam.
- Control measures
- Measures applied
- Vaccination prohibited
- No treatment of affected animals
- Measures to be applied
- No other measures
- Diagnostic test results
- Laboratory name and type - Wageningen Bioveterinary Research, Lelystad ( National laboratory )
- Tests and results: Species – Test - Test date – Result
- Tufted Duck - polymerase chain reaction (PCR) - 13/12/2016 – Positive
- Future Reporting
- The event is continuing. Weekly follow-up reports will be submitted.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; Avian Influenza, H5N5; Wild Birds; The Netherlands.