Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5, #Ukraine [No New Cases reported]
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5 subtype, suspected cases in wild birds, Ukraine.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5, Ukraine
Information received on 15/12/2016 from Dr Olga Shevchenko, Head of Directorate fot International Cooperation, Directorate fot International Cooperation, State Service of Ukraine on Food Safety and Consumer Protection, Kiev, Ukraine
- Report type Follow-up report No. 1
- Date of start of the event 14/11/2016
- Date of confirmation of the event 30/11/2016
- Report date 14/12/2016
- Date submitted to OIE 15/12/2016
- Reason for notification Reoccurrence of a listed disease
- Date of previous occurrence 24/07/2006
- Manifestation of disease Clinical disease
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus
- Serotype H5
- Nature of diagnosis Clinical, Laboratory (basic)
- This event pertains to a defined zone within the country
- Related reports
- Immediate notification (30/11/2016) / Follow-up report No. 1 (14/12/2016)
- There are no new outbreaks in this report
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Epidemiological comments
- From 30 November to 3 December 2016, stamping out of domestic birds and disinfection of all private backyards where birds were kept were done in Novooleksiivka village.
- All wastes and substances (feed, bedding material from sick poultry, low-value utensils, etc.) probably contaminated with highly pathogenic avian influenza virus were destroyed (burnt); litter was decontaminated by a method that guarantees the death of influenza virus.
- Poultry products obtained at the possible date of introduction of the highly pathogenic avian influenza virus and when measures started to be taken have been traced and destroyed.
- All private households in protection and surveillance zones keep poultry exclusively for own consumption and poultry was not placed on the market.
- As a result of clinical examination of poultry, no infected or suspected poultry was found.
- In order to carry out laboratory tests, 20 samples of blood serum and 20 cloacal swabs were taken from each village in the surveillance zone.
- According to haemagglutination and PCR results, avian influenza was not found.
- Control measures
- Measures applied
- Movement control inside the country
- Disinfection / Disinfestation
- Dipping / Spraying
- Surveillance outside containment and/or protection zone
- Stamping out
- Official destruction of animal products
- Official disposal of carcasses, by-products and waste
- Surveillance within containment and/or protection zone
- Control of wildlife reservoirs
- Vaccination prohibited
- No treatment of affected animals
- Measures to be applied
- No other measures
- Diagnostic test results
- Laboratory name and type – Species – Test - Test date – Result
- Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA), Weybridge, United Kingdom (OIE Reference Laboratory) – Birds - polymerase chain reaction (PCR) - 07/12/2016 – Positive
- Future Reporting
- The event is continuing. Weekly follow-up reports will be submitted.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; H5; Avian Influenza, Wild Birds; Ukraine.