Title: #Global #Zika #situation #report, 15 December 2016.
Subject: Zika Virus Infection and related complications, weekly global surveillance report.
Source: World Health Organization (WHO), full page: (LINK). Summary.
Code: [ ]
Zika situation report, 15 December 2016
Zika virus, Microcephaly and Guillain-Barré syndrome: |-- Read the full situation report –|
|-- Download the map png, 238kb –|
- Countries and territories reporting mosquito-borne Zika virus infections for the first time in the past week:
- Countries and territories reporting microcephaly and other central nervous system (CNS) malformations potentially associated with Zika virus infection for the first time in the past week:
- Countries and territories reporting Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) cases associated with Zika virus infection for the first time in the past week:
- A traveler returned from Angola to France and presented with clinical signs and symptoms and serologic signs compatible with Zika virus infection.
- However, previous yellow fever vaccination and sero-positivity for other flaviviruses preclude the conclusive diagnosis of Zika virus infection because of the possibility of cross-reaction.
- Further investigations to determine if there is ongoing Zika virus transmission in Angola are ongoing.
- Overall, the global risk assessment has not changed.
- Zika virus continues to spread geographically to areas where competent vectors are present.
- Although a decline in cases of Zika infection has been reported in some countries, or in some parts of countries, vigilance needs to remain high.
Keywords: WHO; Worldwide; Updates; Zika Virus.