Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H7N1, #Algeria [infected #wildbirds].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H7N1 subtype, epizootic in wild birds, Algeria.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H7N1, Algeria
Information received on 10/11/2016 from Dr Ahmed Chawky Karim Boughalem, Directeur des Services Vétérinaires, Services Vétérinaires, Ministère de l'Agriculture du Développement Rural et de la Pêche, Alger, Algeria
- Report type Follow-up report No. 1
- Date of start of the event 20/10/2016
- Date of confirmation of the event 30/10/2016
- Report date 10/11/2016
- Date submitted to OIE 10/11/2016
- Reason for notification First occurrence of a listed disease in the country
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus
- Serotype H7N1
- Nature of diagnosis Clinical, Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to a defined zone within the country
- Related reports
- Immediate notification (02/11/2016) / Follow-up report No. 1 (10/11/2016)
- There are no new outbreaks in this report
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Animals in transit
- Contact with wild species
- Epidemiological comments
- New deaths in migratory birds in the same outbreak in El Menia, Sbkhet El Malah.
- 408 additional dead ruddy shelducks.
- Also, among the deaths mentioned in the immediate notification there was an Eurasian spoonbill with a ring No. 268949 (German).
- Measures taken in this outbreak:
- Reactivation of the surveillance and monitoring team for avian influenza at wilayah level,
- Surveillance around the infected area and of backyard animals,
- Surveillance of wetlands by Forest Directorate,
- Destruction of carcasses by burial between two layers of lime,
- Awareness for vigilance for poultry farmers (radio, mosques and schools),
- Ban on poultry and birds sales at markets.
- Control measures
- Measures applied
- Surveillance outside containment and/or protection zone
- Official disposal of carcasses, by-products and waste
- Surveillance within containment and/or protection zone
- Vaccination prohibited
- No treatment of affected animals
- Measures to be applied
- No other measures
- Future Reporting
- The event is continuing. Weekly follow-up reports will be submitted.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; Germany; Algeria; Wild Birds; H7N1; Avian Influenza.