Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5N8, #France [infected #wildbirds].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5N8 subtype, epizootic in wild birds, France.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N8, France
Information received on 28/11/2016 from Dr Loic Evain, Directeur Général adjoint, CVO, Direction générale de l'alimentation, Ministère de l'Agriculture, de l'Agroalimentaire et de la Forêt, Paris, France
- Report type Immediate notification
- Date of start of the event 17/11/2016
- Date of confirmation of the event 26/11/2016
- Report date 28/11/2016
- Date submitted to OIE 28/11/2016
- Reason for notification New strain of a listed disease in the country
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus
- Serotype H5N8
- Nature of diagnosis Clinical, Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to a defined zone within the country
- New outbreaks
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 1
- Outbreak Location - PAS-DE-CALAIS ( Marck, Marck )
- Total animals affected: Species – Susceptible – Cases – Deaths – Destroyed – Slaughtered
- Eurasian Wigeon: Anatidae (Anas penelope) - 75 – 25 - 25 - 0 - 0
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Eurasian Wigeon: Anatidae (Anas penelope) - 33.33% - 33.33% - 100.00% - 33.33%
- * Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter;
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Contact with wild species
- Epidemiological comments
- This notification concerns call-ducks; these birds are not included in the definition of poultry as per the Chapter 10.4 of the OIE Terrestrial Code.
- Hence, this outbreak should not trigger poultry trade restrictions and does not affect France status regarding highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI).
- For the record, unless something new happens, France will recover its status of a country free of HPAI on December 3rd, 2016.
- As the episode of mortality in wildlife happened in a zone where the risk had been considered as high (Ministerial Decree from November 16th, 2016, qualifying the risk level as regard to avian influenza), poultry farms have been subjected to extra biosecurity measures and containment ever since.
- An epidemiological investigation was performed and surveillance measures have been strengthened around the outbreak.
- Control measures
- Measures applied
- Disinfection / Disinfestation
- Stamping out
- Official disposal of carcasses, by-products and waste
- Vaccination prohibited
- No treatment of affected animals
- Measures to be applied
- No other measures
- Diagnostic test results
- Laboratory name and type - ANSES Reference National Laboratory, Ploufragan ( National laboratory )
- Tests and results: Species – Test - Test date – Result
- Eurasian Wigeon - real-time reverse transcriptase/polymerase chain reaction (RRT-PCR) - 26/11/2016 – Positive
- Eurasian Wigeon - virus sequencing - 26/11/2016 – Positive
- Future Reporting
- The event is continuing. Weekly follow-up reports will be submitted.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; H5N8; Avian Influenza; Wild Birds; France.