Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5N8, #Sweden [infected #wildbirds].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5N8 subtype, epizootic in wild birds, Sweden.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N8, Sweden
Information received on 23/11/2016 from Dr Ingrid Eilertz, Chief Veterinary Officer Director and Head, Swedish Board of Agriculture Department for Animal Welfare and Health, Ministry for Rural Affairs, Jönköping, Sweden
- Report type Immediate notification
- Date of start of the event 14/11/2016
- Date of confirmation of the event 23/11/2016
- Report date 23/11/2016
- Date submitted to OIE 23/11/2016
- Reason for notification Reoccurrence of a listed disease
- Date of previous occurrence 05/03/2015
- Manifestation of disease Clinical disease
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic influenza A virus
- Serotype H5N8
- Nature of diagnosis Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to a defined zone within the country
- New outbreaks
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 1
- Outbreak Location - SKÅNE LÄN ( Vellinge, Höllviken, Vellinge )
- Total animals affected: Species – Susceptible – Cases – Deaths – Destroyed – Slaughtered
- Common Goldeneye: Anatidae (Bucephala clangula) - … – 1 - 1 - 0 - 0
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Common Goldeneye: Anatidae (Bucephala clangula) – ** – ** - 100.00% – **
- * Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter;
- ** Not calculated because of missing information;
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Epidemiological comments
- In accordance with the OIE Terrestrial Animal Health Code, Article 10.4.1, point 8, this outbreak does not change the disease free status of Sweden as this is a wild bird and therefore do not fall within the OIE definition of poultry.
- Control measures
- Measures applied
- Vaccination prohibited
- No treatment of affected animals
- Measures to be applied
- No other measures
- Diagnostic test results
- Laboratory name and type - National Veterinary Institute ( National laboratory )
- Tests and results: Species – Test - Test date – Result
- Common Goldeneye - real-time PCR - 22/11/2016 – Positive
- Common Goldeneye - virus sequencing - 23/11/2016 – Positive
- Future Reporting
- The event is continuing. Weekly follow-up reports will be submitted.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; H5N8; Avian Influenza; Wild Birds; Sweden.