Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5N8, #Germany [a #poultry #outbreak].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5N8 subtype, a poultry epizootic in the State of Schleswig-Holstein.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N8, Germany
Information received on 11/11/2016 from Dr. Karin Schwabenbauer, Ministerial Dirigentin and Chief Veterinary Officer , Directorate of Animal Health, Animal Welfare, Bundesministerium für Ernährung und Landwirtschaft (BMEL) , Bonn, Germany
- Report type Follow-up report No. 1
- Date of start of the event 07/11/2016
- Date of confirmation of the event 08/11/2016
- Report date 11/11/2016
- Date submitted to OIE 11/11/2016
- Reason for notification Reoccurrence of a listed disease
- Date of previous occurrence 09/2015
- Manifestation of disease Clinical disease
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus
- Serotype H5N8
- Nature of diagnosis Clinical, Laboratory (basic), Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to the whole country
- Related reports
- Immediate notification (09/11/2016) / Follow-up report No. 1 (11/11/2016)
- New outbreaks (1)
- Outbreak 1 (16-015-00021) - Lübeck, Lübeck, Stadt, SCHLESWIG-HOLSTEIN
- Date of start of the outbreak 09/11/2016
- Outbreak status Continuing (or date resolved not provided)
- Epidemiological unit Farm
- Affected animals: Species – Susceptible – Cases – Deaths – Destroyed – Slaughtered
- Birds – 110 – 18 – 18 – 92 – 0
- Affected population: 18 turkeys, 25 geese, 67 ducks - the affected species are turkeys.
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 1
- Total animals affected: Species – Susceptible – Cases – Deaths – Destroyed – Slaughtered
- Birds – 110 - 18 – 18 – 92 – 0
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Birds - 16.36% - 16.36% - 100.00% - 100.00%
- *Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Epidemiological comments
- All poultry have been culled and safely disposed of on 10 November 2016.
- No poultry or poultry products have been dispatched.
- Control measures
- Measures applied
- Movement control inside the country
- Disinfection / Disinfestation
- Stamping out
- Official disposal of carcasses, by-products and waste
- Surveillance within containment and/or protection zone
- Control of wildlife reservoirs
- Vaccination prohibited
- No treatment of affected animals
- Measures to be applied
- No other measures
- Diagnostic test results
- Laboratory name and type – Species – Test - Test date – Result
- Friedrich-Loeffler Institute (National laboratory) – Birds - real-time PCR - 11/11/2016 – Positive
- Future Reporting
- The event is continuing. Weekly follow-up reports will be submitted.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; H5N8; Avian Influenza; Poultry; Germany; Schleswig-Holstein.