Title: Highly pathogenic #avian #influenza #H5, #Russia [a #poultry #outbreak in #Kalmykiya].
Subject: Avian Influenza, H5(N8) subtype, poultry epizootics in Russia.
Source: OIE, full page: (LINK).
Code: [ ]
Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5, Russia
Information received on 23/11/2016 from Dr Evgeny Nepoklonov, Deputy Head, Federal Service for Veterinary and Phytosanitary Surveillance, Ministry of Agriculture, Moscow, Russia
- Report type Immediate notification
- Date of start of the event 07/11/2016
- Date of confirmation of the event 17/11/2016
- Report date 23/11/2016
- Date submitted to OIE 23/11/2016
- Reason for notification Reoccurrence of a listed disease
- Date of previous occurrence 15/06/2016
- Manifestation of disease Clinical disease
- Causal agent Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus
- Serotype H5
- Nature of diagnosis Laboratory (basic), Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to a defined zone within the country
- New outbreaks
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 2
- Outbreak Location - RESPUBLIKA KALMYKIYA ( Oktyabr’sky, Yashaltinsky Solenoe, Yashaltinsky )
- Total animals affected: Species – Susceptible – Cases – Deaths – Destroyed – Slaughtered
- Birds - 203 - 137 - 137 - 0 - …
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Birds - 67.49% - 67.49% - 100.00% – **
- * Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter;
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Epidemiological comments
- Genome of H5 avian influenza virus was detected in 4 samples from carcasses of domestic birds (goose, hen, guinea fowl).
- Sequence analysis of the isolates showed that they belonged to the Asian HPAI virus H5 lineage A/Guandong/1/96, clade 126.96.36.199.
- Control measures
- Measures applied
- Movement control inside the country
- Disinfection / Disinfestation
- Official disposal of carcasses, by-products and waste
- Control of wildlife reservoirs
- Vaccination permitted (if a vaccine exists)
- No treatment of affected animals
- Measures to be applied
- Stamping out
- Diagnostic test results
- Laboratory name and type - Stavropolskaya veterinary laboratory ( Local laboratory )
- Tests and results – Species – Test - Test date – Result
- Birds - polymerase chain reaction (PCR) - 17/11/2016 – Positive
- Laboratory name and type - All-Russian Research Institute for Animal Health (FGBI-ARRIAH) ( National laboratory )
- Tests and results: Species – Test - Test date – Result
- Birds - gene sequencing - 23/11/2016 – Positive
- Birds - reverse transcription - polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) - 23/11/2016 – Positive
- Future Reporting
- The event is continuing. Weekly follow-up reports will be submitted.
Keywords: OIE; Updates; H5; Avian Influenza; Poultry; Russia.