Title: #Core #Elements of #Outpatient #Antibiotic #Stewardship.
Subject: Antimicrobials resistance, outpatients drugs stewardship.
Source: US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), MMWR Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, full page: (LINK). Abstract.
Code: [ ]
Core Elements of Outpatient Antibiotic Stewardship
Recommendations and Reports / November 11, 2016 / 65(6);1–12
Format: [ PDF [395 KB] ]
Guillermo V. Sanchez, MPH, MSHS1; Katherine E. Fleming-Dutra, MD1; Rebecca M. Roberts, MS1; Lauri A. Hicks, DO1
Corresponding author: Katherine E. Fleming-Dutra, Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, CDC. Telephone: 404-639-4243. E-mail: email@example.com.
1Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, CDC
Disclosure of Relationship: CDC, our planners, presenters (or content experts), and their spouses/partners wish to disclose they have no financial interests or other relationships with the manufacturers of commercial products, suppliers of commercial services, or commercial supporters. Planners have reviewed content to ensure there is no bias. Content will not include any discussion of the unlabeled use of a product or a product under investigational use, with the exception that some of the recommendations in this document might be inconsistent with package labeling. CDC did not accept commercial support for this continuing education activity.
Suggested citation for this article: Sanchez GV, Fleming-Dutra KE, Roberts RM, Hicks LA. Core Elements of Outpatient Antibiotic Stewardship. MMWR Recomm Rep 2016;65(No. RR-6):1–12. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.rr6506a1.
- The Core Elements of Outpatient Antibiotic Stewardship provides a framework for antibiotic stewardship for outpatient clinicians and facilities that routinely provide antibiotic treatment.
- This report augments existing guidance for other clinical settings. In 2014 and 2015, respectively, CDC released the Core Elements of Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship Programs and the Core Elements of Antibiotic Stewardship for Nursing Homes.
- Antibiotic stewardship is the effort to measure and improve how antibiotics are prescribed by clinicians and used by patients.
- Improving antibiotic prescribing involves implementing effective strategies to modify prescribing practices to align them with evidence-based recommendations for diagnosis and management.
- The four core elements of outpatient antibiotic stewardship are:
- action for policy and practice,
- tracking and reporting, and
- education and expertise.
- Outpatient clinicians and facility leaders can commit to improving antibiotic prescribing and take action by implementing at least one policy or practice aimed at improving antibiotic prescribing practices.
- Clinicians and leaders of outpatient clinics and health care systems can track antibiotic prescribing practices and regularly report these data back to clinicians.
- Clinicians can provide educational resources to patients and families on appropriate antibiotic use.
- Finally, leaders of outpatient clinics and health systems can provide clinicians with education aimed at improving antibiotic prescribing and with access to persons with expertise in antibiotic stewardship.
- Establishing effective antibiotic stewardship interventions can protect patients and improve clinical outcomes in outpatient health care settings.
Keywords: US CDC; USA; Updates; Antibiotics; Drugs Resistance.