BOA1

Featured post

#Assessment of #risk associated with #influenza A(#H5N8) virus, 17 November 2016 (@WHO)

  Title : #Assessment of #risk associated with #influenza A(#H5N8) virus, 17 November 2016. Subject : Avian Influenza, H5N8 subtype, multi...

16 Nov 2016

#AntibioticResistance can affect anyone, anywhere. #Uganda , Flora Mugisa received a diagnosis of #MDR #TB (@WHO)

 

Title: #AntibioticResistance can affect anyone, anywhere. #Uganda , Flora Mugisa received a diagnosis of #MDR #TB.

Subject: Antibiotics Reistance, multidrug-resistant tuberculosis.

Source: World Health Organization (WHO), full page: (LINK). via Instagram.

Code: [     ]

_____

 

As is the norm in the extended #family support system in #Uganda , Flora Mugisa helped care for her #sister when she was diagnosed with a type of #tuberculosis (#TB) that was resistant to several of the #antibiotics used to treat it. Within a year, Flora also fell sick. She lost her appetite, grew thin, and complained of a heavy chest with severe pain. “I could not sleep at all. I would cough throughout the night. My grandson knew that I would die anytime,” said Flora. Flora failed to respond to the #antibiotic treatment, and she too received a diagnosis of multidrug-resistant TB. After 10 months in hospital, Flora recovered enough to be sent back home, where she received daily directly observed treatment. After nearly 2 years of treatment, Flora recovered. She gained weight, had more energy and all of her TB symptoms resolved. She said: “I can now grow my own food. Before, I could not support myself and depended on my neighbours for everything. I now feel strong and happy.” #AntibioticResistance can affect anyone, anywhere. This week is World Antibiotic Awareness Week and we will be sharing more real-life stories.

Una foto pubblicata da World Health Organization (@worldhealthorganization) in data:

-

Keywords: WHO; Educational Materials; Antibiotics; Drugs Resistance; Tuberculosis; MDR-TB.

-----