[Source: Centre for Health Protection, Hong Kong PRC SAR, full text: (LINK).]
Influenza-like illness outbreak under CHP investigation
The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health is today (January 14) investigating an influenza-like illness outbreak at a primary school in Sham Shui Po affecting 20 students and hence reminded members of the public and staff of institutions to maintain good personal and environmental hygiene against influenza.
The affected students, four boys and 16 girls, all aged 6, had developed symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections, including fever, coughing and sore throat, since January 8.
Sixteen of the affected students sought medical consultation from private doctors and none of them required hospitalisation. They are all currently in a stable condition.
Officers of the CHP have visited the school and advised the management to adopt measures against respiratory tract infections.
To prevent respiratory tract infections, the CHP advised members of the public to adopt the following measures:
- Build up good body immunity by having a proper diet, regular exercise and adequate rest, reducing stress and avoiding smoking;
- Maintain good personal hygiene, wash hands after sneezing or coughing and cleaning the nose, and wear a mask when having symptoms of respiratory tract infections;
- Maintain good ventilation;
- Avoid visiting crowded places with poor ventilation; and
- Receive seasonal influenza vaccination. For details, please visit the CHP's Influenza Page (www.chp.gov.hk/en/view_content/14843.html).
Ends/Monday, January 14, 2013
Issued at HKT 17:57