[Source: Centre for Health Protection, Hong Kong PRC SAR, full text: (LINK). Edited.]
CHP investigates confirmed case of severe paediatric influenza A infection
The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health is drawing public attention to its investigation into a confirmed case of severe paediatric influenza A infection affecting a 4-year-old boy.
The boy, with good past health, presented with fever on January 21 and developed convulsion on the next day. He was admitted to Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital on January 22.
The clinical diagnosis is encephalitis. He is now in stable condition. His nasopharyngeal aspirate tested positive for influenza A.
The boy has no recent travel history. His father had fever recently and is in stable condition.
To prevent respiratory tract infection, members of the public are advised to adopt the following measures:
- Build up good body immunity by having a proper diet, regular exercise and adequate rest, reducing stress and avoiding smoking;
- Maintain good personal hygiene, wash hands after sneezing or coughing and cleaning the nose, and wear a mask when having symptoms of respiratory tract infection;
- Maintain good ventilation;
- Avoid visiting crowded places with poor ventilation; and
- Receive seasonal influenza vaccination. For details, please visit the CHP website at www.chp.gov.hk/en/view_content/14843.html.
Ends/Thursday, January 31, 2013
Issued at HKT 18:29