[Source: Centre for Health Protection, Hong Kong PRC SAR, full text: (LINK).]
CHP investigates acute gastroenteritis outbreak at elderly home
The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health today (August 7) reminded members of the public and management of institutions to maintain personal and environmental hygiene to prevent gastroenteritis.
The appeal was made following the CHP's investigation into an outbreak of acute gastroenteritis at an elderly home in Kwai Tsing District involving 20 female residents aged between 70 and 98.
They presented with symptoms of acute gastroenteritis, including vomiting, fever and diarrhoea, since August 2.
All of them sought medical attention. Three persons required hospitalisation. One of the hospitalised residents died on August 5 from aspiration pneumonia while all the other affected persons are now in stable condition.
Results of laboratory tests are pending. Investigation is continuing.
Officers of the CHP have visited the institution and provided health advice to the staff concerning proper disinfection, disposal of vomitus, and personal and environmental hygiene.
To prevent gastroenteritis, members of the public are advised to:
- Ensure proper personal hygiene;
- Wash hands thoroughly before handling food and eating, and after using the toilet;
- Wear gloves when disposing of vomitus or faeces, and wash hands afterwards;
- Clean and disinfect contaminated areas or items thoroughly with diluted household bleach (by adding one part of household bleach containing 5.25 per cent sodium hypochlorite to 49 parts of water);
- Maintain good indoor ventilation; and
- Avoid food that is not thoroughly cooked.
Members of the public can obtain more information on the prevention of gastroenteritis from the CHP's website (www.chp.gov.hk) or call the Central Health Education Unit hotline, 2833 0111.
Ends/Tuesday, August 7, 2012
Issued at HKT 16:04